Corrective Chiropractic is open, and we are here for you as we continue to serve the needs of the community
Under the latest guidelines of the State of New York, Chiropractic is considered an essential medical service. We are providing all of our usual services, including spinal adjustments and screenings, cold laserand Diapulse treatments, acoustic compression, resonance tuning, Trigger Point Therapy, functional nutrition coaching, recommendations for supplementation and path-to-wellness planning for acute and chronic pain, relieving stress and boosting overall immune function.
We are keeping up with the latest medical news, as well as with national and regional alerts. No one knows how long this holding period will last, so it is vitally important that we take care of ourselves and our families — body, mind & spirit.
To follow are the protocols we have put into place to ensure safety, respect and high-quality health care at Corrective Chiropractic:
- We have stepped up our due diligence with cleaning and sanitizing all surfaces and procedural devices. We ask that you allow a little extra time for your visit as we prepare each room in between patients.
- We will provide you with alternatives to sitting in the waiting room if you prefer to wait in your car. Just call us to let us know you have arrived and we will let you know when you can come directly in to see me.
- We will be refraining from hugs and high fives, which is really hard to do!
- We will remain open during our regular hours until further notice
Our latest investment in air purification and safety of surfaces
We also invested in a Triad Aer Air Purification System that is capable of eliminating airborne pollutants, bacteria, pathogens and yes… even viruses on every surface — floor to ceiling — throughout the entire office. Here's more info about this system:
- Sanitizes all surfaces including walls and ceilings, carpets and drapes, clothing and furniture in all rooms in a space as large as 3,000'
- Replicates nature’s purifying process by releasing negative ions that attach to pollutants and safely bring them down to the ground where they can be vacuumed and removed
- Safely releases vaporized hydrogen peroxide that penetrates the cell walls of microbes, rendering these contaminants harmless
- This system also neutralizes indoor and outdoor allergens (dust, mold, pollen, pets, etc.) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) released from paint, plastics and vinyl, car and truck emissions, industrial pollutants, etc.
- These types of proactive air purifiers (in contrast to passive filter systems like HEPA) were developed by NASA to clean air-tight spaces on board the space shuttle and space station, where fine air-particle pollutants not only affect astronauts’ health but can penetrate sensitive electronic components
Same state-of-the-art sanitizing technology being employed by Stony Brook Hospital
Coincidentally, Stony Brook University Hospital and other medical facilities across the country have started using the same hydrogen peroxide vaporizing technology to sanitize up to 80,000 N-95 masks at a time for its staff. Read more in this Newsday article...
We have already been using the IQAir Filtering System. Here's more info about this system:
- The IQAir Purification System is one of the best HyperHEPA purification systems in the world. It is consistently rated #1 every year by multiple industry review boards for trapping ultra-fine airborne pollutants and allergens, including dust mites and yes, viruses! Used in hospitals, ERs and evacuation shelters, the IQAir was used to fight the spread of SARS in hospitals throughout Hong Kong.
Key Immune Boosters Available for Pickup or Delivery
We ordered extra supplies of several key nutrients and supplements to help you and your loved ones stay healthy… and better manage in the chance that someone does get a cold or virus. There are many safe and highly effective supplements out there, but if I had to recommend just three crucial ones to always utilize and have on hand during times like these, they would be the following:
- Vitamin C
- D3 5000
- ImmunotiX 500 (Beta Glucans)
Reserve yours today for curbside pickup OR we can ship them directly to you! Call the office (631) 849-1586.
Having a hard time locating another supplement you rely on? Try us! We order directly from several trusted companies and can often get orders fulfilled before retailers.
The fact that many stores and online retailers like Amazon are running low or are out of stock of vitamins, supplements and herbs is good news in a way. It tells us that there is increasing consciousness about the value of natural immune boosters, including chiropractic!
Chiropractic Adjustments and the Immune System
Remember, adjustments have been proven to stimulate and improve immune function and are a great way to keep yourself at optimal health over the coming months. Adjustments will also help you get through the virus if you do become symptomatic.
Something to keep in mind is that the “cytokine storm,” as you may have been hearing about on the news, is the body’s response to an invader. In the case of COVID-19, for a very small percentage of people — mainly the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions — this response can become excessive, resulting in the accumulation of fluid and immune cells in the lungs. Children, on the other hand, are not nearly as affected by the virus as adults are. Some children in fact are known to have had the virus but experienced no symptoms at all. There is speculation that the reason for this is that their immune systems are still developing, therefore they are shielded from this type of excessive and out-of-balance immune response.
Chiropractic and the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918
In researching past pandemics, I found some very interesting information about the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918, with regards to the use of chiropractic at that time. Patients who were under chiropractic care during the epidemic had significantly higher survival rates.
“In the state of Iowa, medical doctors treated 93,590 patients, with 6,116 deaths — a loss of one patient out of every 15. In the same state, excluding Davenport, 4,735 patients were treated by chiropractors with a loss of only 6 cases — a loss of one patient out of every 789.” — Dan Murphy, DC, The Official History of Chiropractic in Texas
Our central nervous system, which is tucked neatly into our spine, is the hub that links every functional system of our bodies — systems that maintain normal balance and flow, as well as the systems that kick into high gear to protect our bodies from invading threats. Removing kinks and interferences from the spine allow the central nervous system to free up all our systems of function to work at their best.
“In 1991, Patricia Brennan, Ph.D., leading a team of researchers, discovered an immediate immune boost following a single chiropractic adjustment. The study showed a ‘phagocytic respiratory burst of polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMN) and monocytes’ right after being adjusted by chiropractors. Phagocytes are, the white blood cells that go out, engulf, and destroy unwanted cells and foreign invaders”
We're here for you when you need us
We don’t have control over the virus just yet or the social and economic shut-downs, but we do have more control over our health during this time than we may realize. It’s up to each of us to be proactive in our own way about how we handle our self-care — mind/body/spirit — something we talk endlessly about in the office. Wellness isn’t achieved by sitting still. It takes effort and it requires a lifestyle of constant learning and adapting. After a while, the side effect of this is that you start to feel empowered and emboldened in your self-care in an upward spiral of enthusiasm and vitality.
Know that we are here for you as a medical provider, as a resource for information and supplements, and for emotional support. You can reach us by phone at (631) 849-1586 during office hours or leave us a message 24/7 and we’ll get back to you as soon as we get in the next morning.
Sincerely in good health,